Saturday, March 19, 2011

Music For The Morning: Saturday Nostalgia


A little bit 'o Heather History for ya here this morning Lovelies! Try to contain your excitement... ;)

This video has a lot of different meanings for me.
Number 1: The artist is Luke Bryan - whom I went to high school with. We grew up together in a town with a population of less than 3000 people. Everybody knew everybody - and we were all friends.

I remember watching Luke in the high school musicals thinking "this guy's gonna make it."

Well - I was right. He made it.

I was there for his first "real" live performance at my best friend's daddy's bar in our small town of Leesburg, GA. This song is about that small town - and what it was like growing up for us. It will always be one of my personal favorites. Every time I watch it I feel like I'm back home - which is comforting to me.

I miss home and I miss this life we used to live that he describes in this song. It's a lot different here in Arizona. I hope this video shows you perhaps just a glimpse of it.

I've included the lyrics down below the video. The Flint River is where we all learned to swim. It's where we went fishing, it's the river that caused the "Flood of the Century" - and then another one a few years later.



Down where I was born was heaven on earth
Where Flint River washes that red Georgia dirt
The sun sets slow and the stars shine bright

We raised cotton and corn a little cane and kids
You either lived on a farm or wished you did
And Jesus always walked close by our side
Where I grew up we rode in trucks

There's a lot about life we learned on the bus
How to lie how to fight how to kiss how to cuss
The closer we sat to the back the smarter we got

We were poor we were ugly we were all best friends
Wide-eyed baptized but still wantin' to sin
Thank God we get more than just one shot
Where I grew up we rode in trucks
That's us haulin' hay in the field with the radio on
That's us headin' straight into town when the work was done
In my mind I can still see us now ridin' down Buck Island Road
It wasn't that long ago

We thought tobacco and beer in a can
Was all it would take to be like our old man
Then I saw how it made my momma cry

It was huntin' and fishin' and football games
Then it was girls and everything changed
Fallin' in and out of love we rode in trucks

That's us with our tailgates down in the parking lot
That's us with mud on our tires when it rained a lot
In my mind I can still see us now ridin' down Buck Island Road
It wasn't that long ago it's a part of my soul yeah
It's a part of my soul yeah

Down where I was born was heaven on earth
Where Flint River washes that red Georgia dirt
The sun sets slow and the stars shine bright
Where I grew up we rode in trucks




Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Very cool that you went to high school with Luke Bryan! He played a concert here in West Georgia not too long ago. I can't imagine living that far away from home, but everywhere you go you'll always carry a little piece of the South with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Katie - I most definitely do! That's part of the reason why I started this blog, I wanted to keep my Southern roots in the desert! :) Thanks for stopping by and showing some comment love!

    xoxo,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete