Monday, March 28, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Cookin' With Coconuts - Blogisode 7: Gluten Free Strawberry Coconut Muffins

{google images}
It's that time again! 

I'm so happy that I found all of these user submitted recipes on the Tropical Traditions website! They have been quite helpful. I'm on a quest to eat things without flour, wheat or ingredients that are otherwise not necessarily good for you. I have a theory that I've got myself a bit of a wheat allergy - but it has not been proven yet...

Anyway, here's a recipe I found and wanted to share. The muffins are made with coconut flour - which is nothing but the fiber from the coconut meat after most of the oil has been extracted to make Virgin Coconut Oil. 

I'm currently pouring through tons of coconut flour recipes and this one caught my eye. I'm headed to Sprouts tomorrow for the ingredients. I'll share pictures of my attempts once I'm done! 

For now - here's the recipe:

Gluten Free Strawberry Coconut Muffins

Servings: 6-12 muffins
Preparation Time: 10 minutes


{photo cred}
Muffins:

Cream Cheese Topping:
  • 1 cup homemade or store bought cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup chopped strawberries, fresh or frozen
  • 1 - 3 tablespoons raw honey

For the muffins:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small bowl, combine coconut flour, salt and baking soda.

In a large bowl mix the eggs, honey, coconut oil and vanilla until well blended. 

Mix dry ingredients into the wet, blending with a hand mixer or by hand. Gently fold in strawberries.

Place batter in paper lined muffin tins OR oil small individual glass bowls and pour batter in about 1/2 - 3/4 full.

Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Take them out and let them cool and serve topped with Strawberry Cream Cheese.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

Place everything in a blender or food processor and blend till smooth. 

Store in an airtight container in the fridge. 

When muffins are ready, generously top each muffin and enjoy!





Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. That cream cheese topping is looking a lil too yummy! Very cool that this is a gluten free dessert. Looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Heather Sweetie...

    What a wonderful recipe. Looks SO yummy, and I can't wait to see what you think of it. I am insulin diabetic and I wonder if this could be legal for me. I am going to have to research a little. I am your newest follower. I do not know how the Country Wings in Phoenix, has missed Belle of the Desert, but I am SO tickled to meet you. I am having fits with Blogger, my dashboard has been emptied and shows I am following nobody, and when I tried Google Reader, it too is empty. I can only go back to my posts and find my friends there. It is so frustrating trying to hop over, and I can't tell when anyone posts anything new. I hope you will come back again.

    Thank you so much for stopping by, and for your kind comments. I have truly been smacked with a sting in the last couple of days, so felt it was time to speak about what happened to me. Every time I think I can live with it, I get knocked down a few more notches. I just needed to voice my heart. I thank you for listening.

    Many country hugs to you sweet Belle of the Desert. Love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really interesting. I have a hard time finding unique ingredients in my small town, though... pretty sure coconut flour is out of the question, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it just me or does that frosting look super delicious!?? Hopped over via FTLOB, and happy I did, this looks great and makes me want to lick the screen! lol, just joking but you get my point! happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, love me some coconutty goodness! Yummmy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really wanted to lick my computer screen when I saw that frosting. I should probably keep that to myself. I hope you had a better day today, Heather!

    ReplyDelete